Tuesday 28 October 2008

History of Amasiko

It has been a long way for me to reach the point where the Amasiko idea developed.

Trained in tropical Agriculture and in Rural Development I came to Africa in 1980 and worked here for almost 25 years in various fields and organisations. All this was based on principles of solidarity and Christian values.

Since 1989 I am in Uganda. From 1999 till 2004 I worked for an indigenous NGO, an umbrella for a network of 17 women and farmer groups in Kabale, which gave me ample opportunity to learn about the local conditions, culture and way of life. I realised that although the environment of Kabale District looks very attractive to national and international visitors, for the local people (Bakiga) is poses great challenges and there is a lot of hidden poverty.

Besides this official work something unexpected happened, I got a young girl (Viona, 3 years) in my house which I finally adopted. She is now 1 very confident young lady and in secondary school (S5). And with these girls in the house, others followed. with help of some friends I managed to support 5 girls in need (orphaned, no place to stay, no school fees....) , paying school fees, giving some shelter at home, but most of all offering a place where they felt at home. Now all are doing well; three finished professional education and are working, others are still schooling.


Here we are celebrating Christmas 2007!

Those girls proposed to start a project together to give other girls in need similar opportunities. As they all explained, the most important help was to have a home, someone to call a parent and to get new HOPE in life = AMASIKO in Rukiga, the language of Bakiga! And there the idea started growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment